***SOLD OUT*** Friendly & fun camping/glamping weekend (all-inclusive)
Springwood is a private campsite outside the village of Grayrigg, not far from Kendal in Cumbria. Under 2 hours drive from Liverpool (or a 15 minute / £15-20 taxi from Oxenholme/Kendal station).
The postcode is LA8 9BL – you can use the postcode for general directions but the postcode includes several houses over about 500m so it will take you to the wrong house and when you are close use the map below and look for the “Springwood Camping” on the main road Click here for google maps location pin showing the gate – or use the ‘what 3 words’ location here. As you can see the venue is on the opposite side of the main road (the A685) from where the postcode directions will take you.
There are two gates off the main road (‘x’ marks the spot on the green road), use the one with “Spiringwood Camping” signs & room to pull up off the main road to get out & open the gate, PLEASE CLOSE THE GATE BEHIND YOU AND DRIVE SLOWLY (there are people, animals and children roaming so please be considerate) – drive past the house and stop opposite the food bridge (not blocking the track) where we will welcome you.
Yoga & Ukuleles – it’s a match made in heaven and we’re very excited for this collaboration with Ukulele Club Liverpool. Harness the feel-good power of music & creativity with beginner & intermediate ukulele classes & workshops culminating in group performances, campfire jams & open mic sessions…plus there’s beginner-friendly Yoga, Qigong (similar to TaiChi) & guided relaxation meditations so you can experience all the colours of the wellbeing rainbow!
You don’t need to be able to touch your toes and you don’t need any musical experience/ability to enjoy this retreat – even if you’re totally new to being musical & Yoga/Meditation, we love looking after beginners so this is the perfect weekend to start. George Harrison said “Everybody should play a ‘uke’, it’s the one instrument you can’t play and not laugh – so get yourself a few and enjoy yourselves!” Wise words.
***THIS WEEKEND HAS SOLD OUT*** we can put you on a reserve list for this weekend or please check out all our other wellness retreat weekends. We pride ourselves on making everything we do accessible, friendly & enjoyable, our retreats are the perfect antidote to lockdown in a beautiful natural setting so let’s get together & feel good!
FRIDAY 4th JUNE
- 2pm onwards – Arrivals & settle in with a brew / meet your ukulele for beginners (ukes available to borrow)
- 5pm – Group welcome
- 5.30pm – Gentle Yoga Stretch with Robin (45 mins)
- 6.45pm – Dinner
- 7.30pm – Campfire sing-song & open mic / free-time
SATURDAY 5th JUNE
- 7.30am – Qigong in the woods with Robin (30 mins)
- 8.30am – Breakfast
- 9.30am – Beginner ukuleles with Gemma / Intermediate with Elaine (60 mins)
- 11am – Yoga & Mindfulness with Robin (60 mins)
- 12.15pm – Lunch
- 1.30pm – Forest-bathing / country walk / free-time
- 3pm – Beginner ukuleles with Gemma / Intermediate with Elaine (60 mins)
- 5.30pm – Guided meditation for complete relaxation with Robin (30 mins)
- 6.30pm – Dinner
- 7.30pm – Campfire sing-song, whole group performance & open mic
SUNDAY 6th JUNE
- 8.30am – Breakfast
- 10am – Easy like Sunday morning Yoga with Robin (45 mins)
- 11am – Beginner ukuleles with Gemma / Intermediate with Elaine (60 mins)
- 12.30pm – Lunch & departures
The Lake District glamping/camping venue
A beautiful meadow where birds sing, butterflies flutter, bluebells carpet the peaceful woodland and we camp beside the river – when you see it you’ll understand why it’s SSSI (a Site of Special Scientific Interest). The meadow has space for tents – and two beautiful yurts if you like luxury while enjoying the great outdoors.
Our ‘Big Top’ parachute canopy provides open sided weather protection all weekend and Chef Debs will be cooking up a vegan feast in the kitchen tent (all food included). There are plenty of places to sit and enjoy the campsite, river & woodland. There’s a compost toilet, extra portaloos, a basic hot shower (or river!), sink with hot water & kitchen cabin with small fridge, kettle, toaster & microwave (all subject to multiple daily sanitising).
Location is a private site outside the village of Grayrigg, not far from Kendal where the Lake District meets the Yorkshire Dales. Under 2 hours drive from Liverpool/Manchester and a 15 minute taxi from Oxenholme station (direct trains from London Euston in 3 hours).
Meet the team
Our mission is for you to have the best weekend of your life! We are thrilled to have with us Liverpool ukulele legends & stalwarts of Ukulele Club Liverpool, Elaine Kinsella & Gemma Doherty – if you know someone in Liverpool who plays the ‘uke’ they probably had something to do with it as they’ve helped hundreds of people experience the joy of music & creativity with ukuleles…you could be next you lucky people!
Robin discovered Yoga & Ukuleles when dealing with chronic back pain and his passion for giving normal people the chance to experience the mental & physical benefits of improved wellbeing led to him setting up YinYan in Liverpool in 2015 (now in London & Birmingham too). His Yoga style is very inclusive, giving beginners the perfect place to start & more practised students advanced options where suitable – in 2018 he created the YinYanBand along the same lines, giving stressed out office workers with no musical experience the chance to enjoy ukulele sessions.
Food & drink
Delicious, hearty & healthy vegan food is provided for your lunch & dinner, think warming chilli, tasty curry & wholesome soups – our charitable kitchen is being run by Debs with profits going to Foodcycle Liverpool. If you have any allergy or special requirements let us know. Fresh fruit (and toast in the Lake District) will be available to help yourself at breakfast, bring anything else you’d like in terms of a bigger breakfast/extra snacks. We provide compostable plates, bowls & cutlery but bring your own mug.
Our big kettle will always be on the fire because unlimited brews might just be the cornerstone of civilised society! A range of tea & coffee is included, along with drinking water. We don’t sell/provide alcohol but you can bring if you like – the emphasis is on having fun and enjoying yourself, and we’re here to have a good time together not judge anyone.
The communal fire pits are the beating heart of our retreat. A fire will always be burning (all firewood included) so you can have a brew and warm your cockles anytime – in the evenings we’ll light more fires so everyone can feel the warmth, and Carter the hound always up for a cuddle! We can’t wait to be toasting marshmallows as we laugh & sing together under the stars – it’s so good for your soul.
Bookings, payments & cancellations
- ***THIS WEEKEND HAS SOLD OUT*** we can put you on a reserve list for this weekend or please check out all our other wellness retreat weekends.
- Weekend Pass (includes all classes, camping & food):
- ***EARLY BIRD SOLD OUT*** – £185 per person
- ***FINAL RELEASE SOLD OUT*** Final Release (full price) – £220 per person
- Returning Customer Discount (weekend passes only) – if it’s your second YinYan retreat get 10% discount on your Weekend Pass, and another 10% off your third!
- ***YURTS SOLD OUT*** Yurt Surcharge – £240 per Yurt split by whoever is in it (e.g. for 2 people = £120 extra each; 3 people = £80 extra per person; 4 people = just £60 extra per person, etc)
- 40% deposit required to book your Weekend Pass & Yurt, remainder due 1 week before the event.
- If you want to borrow a ukulele for the weekend let us know and bring £30 deposit (fully refundable on return of undamaged uke – or you can take it home to keep!)
- Spaces limited so early booking recommended to avoid disappointment.
If we cancel the event for any reason (including Government restrictions) then you get the option of an alternative/rescheduled retreat at no extra cost (see all our planned weekends here, plus we have several ‘fallow’ weekends when nobody else is using the site so we can reschedule retreats if necessary) or you can choose a full refund.
If you cancel 14+ days in advance you can choose an alternative retreat at no extra cost, or get a refund less cancellation charge of £30 per Weekend Pass & £95 per Yurt (which we will waive/reduce if we get someone else to take your place). If you cancel less than 14 days before the retreat your deposit is non-refundable (unless we find someone to take your place, in which case we will refund you minus our costs).
Payments to our bank account – “Yin Yan Ltd”, account number 45402817, sort code 60-13-19 – please include your name & retreat date (i.e. “Jane Smith 2 July”) as the payment reference. For bookings & queries contact us / [email protected] / call Robin on 07912 031543.
If you prefer the warmth of a wood burning stove and a proper bed then treat yourself to one of the two yurts available, with each able to accommodate up to 6 people. The yurts come with their own shelter outside to give protection from the sun (and occasionally rain!)
Each yurt is 5m in diameter and has it’s own a wood burner, all firewood included in the price. Both yurts have a double bed, a double day bed and a double sofa bed – only base sheets, pillows, pillow cases & hand towels are provided so bring your own snuggly bedding and towels.
Parking is available and we will direct you on arrival. To minimise our carbon footprint please car-share where possible, or consider public transport – Oxenholme train station is just 15 mins in a taxi. You can’t drive onto the meadow but you only have to carry your things about 100m and trolleys are available if you need them.
All classes, activities & treatments will be run in line with government advice & relevant local guidelines at the time. At some points you may see some PPE – you do not have to wear a face covering but it is optional for the treatments in the wellbeing tent (regulations subject to change). Please help to keep everyone safe by:
- Using the anti-bacterial hand gel supplied (and bring your own) & the hand washing station…especially before & after eating & when filling up your water bottles
- Please stay out of the kitchen area unless asked – if you need something just ask
- When being served food follow the instructions given
- We will clean the compost toilets & drinking water stations several times a day
- Respect others & the relevant guidelines at all times
Hazards, dogs & kids
The venue includes a river & working woodland – there are ditches, slopes & hazards so please watch your step & sturdy shoes/wellies are recommended. Carter (Robin’s hound & YinYan’s official head of wellbeing) will be there – if you would like to bring your dog please contact Robin on 07912 031543 (they MUST be kept on lead at all times). Happy to discuss if you want to bring children, just get in touch 🙂
Suggested Packing List
- Ukulele, music stand etc. (if you have them – if you want to borrow let us know!)
- Tent (unless you’re in a yurt)
- Bed/sleeping mat
- Sleeping bag & pillow/cushion, the nights might be chilly and an extra blanket is great for the meditations & keeping cosy around the fire pits (remember the yurts only have pillows & sheets)
- Water bottle
- Yoga mat & block – if you need to borrow/buy a mat let us know
- Camping mug, plate, bowl & cutlery (we have disposables if you forget)
- Snacks, drinks & anything you want for breakfast (there is a small fridge)
- Toiletries including anti-bacterial gel & anything else you need such as wet wipes (we will provide toilet paper, hand sanitiser & antibacterial wipes around the site)
- Footwear – wellies/boots/sturdy trainers (it might be muddy), bring a pair of old trainers to use in the river if you’re planning on getting wet as it is rocky & uneven
- Clothes – hope for the best but prepare for the worst with a waterproof jacket, fleece/warm jumpers, plenty of layers, spare socks etc. & bring clothes you can move freely in for yoga
- Towel & swimming costume if you’re planning on bathing in the river or enjoying a warm shower!
- Headtorch / light for your tent
- Hat & scarf
- Sun hat, sunscreen & sun glasses – we live in hope!
- Phone/camera/battery pack – useful to keep your phone charged so you can take lots of photos/videos, although there is a plug if you need a battery boost
- If you play an instrument please bring it for the camp fire sing-song!
- Chair (there are benches & logs to sit on too)
- Carrier/rubbish bags – great for wet clothes & refuse…please take everything with you & leave no trace!